Academic planning unit was established as a Unit in the College in January, 2011 with Dr. A.O. Ekwe as the Pioneer Director. Other pioneer staff of the unit were as follows:
a. Barr. B.F. Anyanwu – Deputy Registrar
b. Mr. Idiukwu, Samson Onah – Administrative Officer II
c. Mrs. Esogwa, Rebecca N. – Chief Typist/Computer Operator
d. Mr. Anyawnu Onyekachi – Clerical Officer
e. Miss Okezie Jenifer – Attendant
Between 2011 till date, the staff strength of the unit increased with the appointment of a new Director and Deputy Director as follows:
1. Dr Mrs) A.C. Izuagba – Director
2. Dr (Mrs) Paully-Mbah – Deputy Director
3. Mrs F.A. Okoro – Deputy Registrar
4. Eugene C.A. Obiyo – Chief Planning Officer
5. Mr. Jonathan Oriaku – Administrative Officer I
6. Mr. Samson O. Idiukwu – Administrative Officer I
7. Miss Ihuoma Ijioma – Statistician II
8. Mr. Ugochukwu Ihekaire – Statistician II
9. Mrs. Lawrencia U. Anyanwu – Chief Typist/Computer Operator
10. Mrs. Amarachi Ekwereike – Higher Executive Officer
11. Chima C. Ogbonna – Chief Clerical Officer
12. Miss Chinyere Onyegbule – Attendant
FUNCTIONS OF ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
The Unit is the hub of academic activities in the College. Some of the functions of the unit, however, include but not limited to the following:
- Provide leadership in collaboration with the Deans and Heads of both Academic and Non-academic Departments in planning, developing, administering and evaluating the academic programmes of the College.
- Encourage and support College activities and innovations to improve teaching and learning in the College.
- Administer and monitor College academic policies and regulations.
- Lead the College’s effort in educational assessment and programming both NCE and Degree programmes.
- Supervise the development of scheduled classes for each academic semester consistent with enrolment made and programmes requirements of the College, consistent with the College budget parameters and college finances.
- Work collaboratively with the Provost, Deans and Heads of Academic Departments to develop an annual academic plan for the College consistent with the mission and strategic plans of the College as well as regional initiatives (where applicable).
- Ensure compliance with the standards of accreditations agencies and effectively and efficiently implement the responsibilities for accreditation review in collaboration with Deans, Heads of Departments and other officers involved in accreditation exercise.
- Respond to community academic needs by assisting the Provost and other members of the College leadership team with outreach efforts to other academic institutions and other organizations in the community services such business industry and governmental agencies.
- Work with appropriate committee to keep track of admission of students into the various courses in departments and schools.
- Keep track of student’s population in various academic programmes and students’ academic records.
- Meet regularly with Deans, HOD’s and Administrators to discuss, inform and resolve mutual problems and issues surrounding academic support services.
- Consult and communicate with Deans, HODs, Heads of Non-Academic Departments, Administrators and appropriate support staff on all matters of academic programmes.
- Work with appropriate offices to keep track of quality and qualifications of academic staff and staff student’s ratio per programme.
- Work with the appropriate offices to ensure that NUC and NCCE minimum standard are implemented in such a way that it has adequate input in terms of theory, practicals, field trips and curricular activities.
- Work with appropriate offices to ensure proper implementation of teaching practice and SIWES.
- Work with other College officials to ensure that academic integrity is maintained in matters concerning test, examinations, compilation of results etc.
- Work with Deans, HODS and their officers to carry out internal quality assurance exercise which will ensure that quality and standards are maintained in the Departments, Schools and the College in general.
- Reconciliation of both NCE and Degree sessional and final results.
- Organizing workshops and capacity building for all academic nd non-academic staff in the College.
- Coordination and supervision of capacity development workshops for teachers under the auspices of UBEC and IMO SUBEB.